Air Pollutants That Cause Harm
Mold and Mildew
Many homeowners unknowingly develop chronic sicknesses from the mold in their ventilation systems. Some of the telltale signs are black dust around the vents and a musty odor. If you suffer from a sickness that seems like a sinus infection or a cold for weeks without any relief, it may be mildew or mold in your ventilation systems.
The mold spores are toxic and will trigger nausea, vomiting, respiratory sickness, and symptoms that are very similar to sinus infections. The sign of mold or mildew is often when you catch these so-called “colds” in warm climates and others in the same household also feel sick.
The main method of preventing mold from growing in your ductwork is to have them professionally cleaned and checked for leaks annually. The mold spores multiply rapidly and grow vigorously in dusty high-humidity spaces, like your air ducts. The variances in temperatures can also cause humidity to condense inside the ductwork, making proper sealing vital. Black mold is dangerous and toxic. It requires special cleaning solutions and tools to properly kill it and reduce the chances of it returning.If you suspect black mold, you do not want to clean it yourself.
If you do not have a good HVAC filter in your home, chances are your home allergens are high. The proper filter will catch everything from dust to pet dander, and this is especially important if you have asthma or lung conditions that require the use of oxygen.
Even if you have milder allergies from pets, why breathe in that miasma of danger every time that you come home. You love your cat or dog. And maybe you are able to manage your allergies by simply cleaning the home regularly and bathing your pet. However, if you don’t clean your ventilation, ductwork, and replace your air filters regularly, you will find that avoiding cleanings can put wear and tear on your system, too. The best way to avoid dragging in outdoor allergens is by taking off your shoes and coats at the door, bathing pets often, and vacuuming a few times a week.
Although dust may technically count as the top allergen, dust can irritate anyone even if they are not allergic. With the use of a humidifier, you can reduce the impact. However, some people are more sensitive than others.
Dust can also be filled with dust mites that are more irritating than the dust itself. Many people are not allergic to dust but rather to the mites that live and feed on it. These tiny organisms thrive in the mixture of dead skin cells, silt from outdoors, and fabrics that comprise the dust in your home. You can stop the dust from blowing in by having your HVAC systems properly maintained and regularly cleaned.
Do I Need a Humidifier?
The California climate can be downright arid. It is much easier to transmit viruses and to feel dry eyes, skin, and sinuses in a room that lacks humidity. A lack of humidity is also bad for the materials in your home and even damage your furniture. Not to mention, it can lead to chronic nose bleeds, dry coughs, and a slew of other discomforts. For maximum comfort, your indoor humidity levels should be at about 50 percent year round.
Call your Simi Valley HVAC experts at RR Electric, Heating & Air whenever you feel like the air quality in your home is lacking. They have the tools and training to improve the function of your systems. Regular maintenance of your HVAC systems will save you money on energy bills and improve your daily quality of life. Take a fresh breath and enjoy your home again.